Take a scenic drive 48 miles south of Big Sky and experience the wonder that is Yellowstone National Park. Yellowstone is many things to many people. A natural Eden, a showcase for wildlife, or a big playground that is only a short distance away from Big Sky.
Yellowstone's Summer Highlights
Yellowstone is many things to many people. A natural
Eden, a showcase for wildlife, or a big playground that is only a short
distance away from Big Sky.
Yellowstone's Winter Wonderland
- Yellowstone Lake; one of the world's largest alpine lakes with a shoreline that strethches over 110 miles
- Old Faithful; erupts every 80 minutes or so, spouting some 8,000 gallons of water up to 180 feetin the air
- Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone; the Yellowstone River plummets over huge waterfalls and rages through this spectacular canyon
- Lamar Valley; prime wildlife viewing, including chance encounters with wolves, preferably at a distance
- Norris Geyser Basin; North America's most volatile and active thermal area - so hot, the ground pulsates beneath you
Winter is a magical time to visit Yellowstone; Falls become frozen cloaks of ice, wildlife is easy to spt, geysers allude to being taller and steamier. Thermally heated rivers and streams attract birds of every feather.
- Experience ranger guided snowshoe hikes around Old Faithful
- Use skier shuttles, a snowcoach or join a guided snowmobile tour to access the park
- Snowshoe to frozen Mystic Falls, near the Upper Geyser Basin
- Ski up or around Mount Washburn
- Ride a showcoach or snowmobile to the Old Faithful Snow Lodge